Friday, July 19, 2013

Nationals-Maui-Surgery


 Well, it's been a little while since my last update… I don’t even know where to start.

Let's see, after a disappointing World Championships, and the final World Cup races of the season, I had to regroup and focus for one last event: Canadian Nationals. Looking back, I still remember how physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted I was. I had never felt like this before. The only race I could manage to do, was the Sprint. My warmup that morning felt brutal and I tried hard to stay focused on the race when all I felt like doing was putting my skis away and calling it a season.  Another thing I remember from that day is how ridiculously hot it got. After each heat, I would go to the ski chalet, find some scissors and cut a little more material off my race suit. For the final heat I had shorts and short sleeves.


The A final was delayed 15 minutes to deal with a protest, and during that delay, the sun must have gone behind some clouds because all of a sudden I was frozen. I guess I was a little too scissor happy. Once the race did get under way I was struggling to find kick. I had to dig deep on the 2010 Olympic course just to stay with Graham, Phil, and Jess on the long climbs. Once I made it to the top of the course just ahead of those guys I knew my skis were fast enough and the race was mine to lose. I held on through the slop and slush to claim my third National Sprint Championship! 

After hanging up the skinny skis for the season, I was really enjoying Whistler. It was great to be at Nationals to see all my friends and family. I especially think it's important for National Team members to ski and chat with young aspiring athletes whenever possible. This year our team met with fans a few times during World Cup stops in Quebec, Canmore, as well as at Nationals in Callaghan Valley. It was fun to hang out with some of the young fans!


I couldn't be in Whistler and not go alpine skiing. I was able to unleash my new downhill boards and rip some turns on my favorite mountain. 
Austin dared me to hit the big one


This season felt like a very, very long one. Looking back I probably raced a little too much for a sprinter (30 races). As far as I know, I am the only man or woman this year that raced at every stop on the World Cup circuit, including every stage in the Tour de Ski. Haha, maybe next year I'll take a little more rest, so I don’t completely fall apart at the end of the season.
Post-Nationals everyone knows where to find me. Maui. I love that place. This year I spent 6 amazing weeks there and had visits from my family and so many good friends! Lots of great memories.
Rugged West Maui


This is why I'm getting good at repairing boards, party wave anyone?!!
Never turn down an invitation to a party wave
When on the side of a huge cliff, maintain as many points of contact as possible




Jaws... Yeah, I snorkeled that


The best! stina came to visit me!
                                  
Ho'okipa Beach park. My happy place. 
this can barely be considered camping...
Queen air mattress that the truck fills up, sheets, and duvet..




Training has been going great so far this summer. We have had 2 training camps in Bend, and lots of quality training in Canmore. Soon we'll be heading to New Zealand for on-snow training and some racing. My mom just reminded me that I have a new record this year. I've been living out of a suitcase since Nov. 5. That is a long time, and I don't think I could have done it if I didn't have the best teammates, coaches and support staff as friends. 
Bend camp 1, snuck out for a day of surfing in Pacific City


Last week I had a scope surgery done on my knee. Everything should be fine, it's just been a tough week recovering. I don't think I've ever sat still for this long in my life. My stand paddle board is just teasing me sitting in the garage. It will be a few more weeks before I am back doing real training, but until then I will be rehabbing my knee as much as possible.



BTW Keep the date: Nov. 2, 2013 There will be a special event in Toronto to support my Olympic quest. More details to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment